Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tips and Tricks for Tuesday (on Wednesday)

I am trying to get things close to routine while in winter break, but it is a struggle. Right now I am arguing with myself about mopping the floor and cleaning the bathrooms. I know I should, but will I?

Anyway, that is why this post is a day late. I knew what I was going to do, but with my car battery dying yesterday, the day slipped by without me posting. So here it is today-

My tip is about charts. I am a chart oriented person. I find that kids respond best when they see what is expected. I am posting pictures of some of the charts that have worked well for me.

The first chart I like for flexibility. I printed off the expected chores on cardstock. Laminated and added a magnet. Then I use a white board and wet eraser markers to make the chart. It is easy to add chores, and for the kids to keep track of what they've done by moving the icons up and down. Obviously I have another chart with the other kids names on it.

The next chart keeps track of who has what chore. Mom's choice is one of the best ideas ever. I get to choose what they do when they have this chore. I have always rotated daily, but am thinking of switching to weekly. This also works for tracking FHE assignments. All it takes is cardstock and a brad. I laminated it because I am a laminating fool!
The last chart is for those who try hard to read scriptures as a family, but aren't quite perfect. By tracking it, you know where you are even if it has been a few months, er weeks, er days... Also seeing the chart is a great guilt reminder. Plus the kids love crossing it out as you go!
Do you have a chart that works for you? I'd love to hear about it!

4 comments:

  1. I use a chart for our meal planning. I keep it on the fridge. I'm sure as Abe gets older I will also be a laminating, chart making fool. I've already envisioned several.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post a picture when I get a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE charts. I am such a chart person. And a laminating person. I really like your chore chart. I think Addie's going to start chores this summer, maybe I will copy your chart.

    ReplyDelete