Monday, June 1, 2009

5 minute challenges

Before I list the challenges I wanted to share part of what I read in June's Ensign last night from a talk by Elder Douglas L. Callister of the Seventy:

President Joseph F. Smith, sixth President of the Church, owned few things, but he took care of them. He was fastidious in his appearance. He pressed his dollar bills to remove the wrinkles. He allowed none but himself to pack hi s overnight bag. He knew where every article, nut, and bolt of the household was, and each had its place.

Would this be true of the environment in which you live? Is it a house of order? Need you dust, clean, and rearrange before you incite the Spirit of the Lord into your home? President Lorenzo Snow said: "the Lord does not intend that the Saints shall live always in dens and caves of the earth, but that they shall build fine houses. Wen the Lord comes he will not expect to meet a dirty people, but a people of refinement.

I thought this a fitting quote for our blog. I am going to try a little harder this week. Hope it inspires you too. The entire article is called Our Refined Heavenly Home. And the text can be found HERE.

Here are the 5 minute Challenges this week:
1. Straighten a Cupboard (or 2) in the Kitchen
2. Clean wood on coffee or end tables
3. Wash Kitchen walls
4. Fix one Decorating item (either hang something up that you have been meaning to get to, or paint something that needs a touch up, or rearrange a picture arrangement)
5. Straighten your closet floor (and vacuum/sweep it if you get time)

3 comments:

  1. I tried to post the 5 minute challenges on the sidebar, but some how I always srew up the spacing, I tried to fix it and did ok, but Charlotte will have to come in a fix it again...sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the concept, the more organized my home is, the better I tend to feel (but I must admit that I won't be ironing my dollar bills anytime soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't finish a decorating thing, but I did finally take a while and find these paper mache letters I've been looking for. They are now ordered and on their way so I can finish a wall treatment I've been putting off.

    ReplyDelete