Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday Tip: Baking Soda

I have never used baking soda to clean with, but I have tons of it in my food storage and I don't think I will ever use it up before it expires so I started looking for other uses for it. Here are a few ideas that I found and they seem interesting. I think I will try a few.

  • Sprinkle some on the bottom of your kitchen garbage can. It will effectively remove any odors there.
  • Got a slow running drain? Pour half a cup of baking soda followed by a cup of vinegar, wait 15 minutes for the fizzing to subside, flush with hot water. The clog is gone. It’s like magic!
  • Cleaning your bathroom and kitchen fixtures to a blinding brilliance with a paste of baking soda and liquid dish soap.
  • Appliance manufacturers will tell you never to use any kind of chemicals when cleaning the inside of the refrigerator or microwave. Use baking soda and water only.
  • For a sour sponge, wet it and sprinkle a goodly amount of baking soda on it. Work it in and let is set up overnight. Works every time.
  • A grease fire in your kitchen or barbecue can be put out quickly by smothering it with baking soda.
  • Use a baking soda and water paste to remove scuff marks on vinyl floors, crayon from the walls.
  • Add a cup to bathwater to soften your skin.
  • Apply it on rashes, insect bites, and poison ivy irritations.
  • Keep cut flowers fresh longer by adding a teaspoon to the water in the vase.
  • Put an open container of baking soda in the fridge to absorb the odors.
  • Wipe your windshield with it to repel rain.
  • Improve the smell of dishrags by soaking them in baking soda and water.
  • Suck it in with your vacuum cleaner to remove the odor
  • Put it under sinks and along basement windows to repel cockroaches and ants.
  • Sweeten your tomatoes by sprinkling baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants.
  • Scatter it on your greasy garage floor, scrub the floor, and rinse.
  • 1 comment:

    1. thanks for the tip! I've sprayed my garbage can over and over with spray that's supposed to eat up the "odor causing bacteria" and it never worked. A little baking soda worked like a charm!!

      ReplyDelete