Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tip of the Week


So, this is a old tip but something that I've just started taking advantage of. I'd always heard that Wal-Mart price matched, but never thought much more beyond that. Then I read an article on a blog about it and decided to give it a try. Ken loves to drink Tampico Juice and we buy a gallon a week. A local grocery store, Kroger, had it on sale 10 for $10 (we pay $1.87 a gallon at Wal-Mart) and so I went to stock up. Unfortunately they only had strawberry-kiwi flavor and we only like mango. So I took a deep breath and my ad to Wal-Mart. I put 5 gallons in my cart and .... drum roll .... it was a breeze. No problem. I saved $0.87 a gallon! We were so excited. Since then we have price matched several things at Wal-Mart, including when Target put corn on the cob on sale 10 / $10 and I went first thing Monday morning only to learn they sold out in less than an hour on Sunday. I bought over 50 ears at Wal-Mart (where they were $0.25) saving over $10. We parboiled it, cut it off the ear, and froze it and are now stocked up on corn. Sometimes the workers aren't sure how to do it and have to call a manager to help, but I've never had them give me any trouble at all. It saves time (you don't have to drive to a lot of different stores) and money.

Oh, just a note, they do not price match sales such as buy one get one free.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Walmart will match any add that tells you what price it will be, but they do not do % off prices, so if the add says 50% off they will not match it, but they will match a buy one get one free, so you have to watch how the add is worded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours will not match BOGO sales, that is lucky for you that yours does.

    ReplyDelete