Thursday, July 23, 2009

Motherly Question

Okay, I have a question for all you mothers who have breastfed. *that is the key for any male who might be reading this to stop* One of my girls is producing only half as much milk as the other. I'm not sure why or what the problem is. I've tried starting him on the wimpy side everytime. I've tried nursing him wimpy - good - wimpy in one sitting even. I've tried only nursing him from the wimpy side and then pumping the strong side. I've tried pumping the weak side only about an hour after he nurses. It isn't a huge deal, only it seems as though it makes my boobs loopsided. It is also annoying that the over productive side is constantly squirting milk. I go through 2-3 breast pads a day on the strong side and the weak side's breast pad is rarely even necessary. Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has suggestions.
Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I had this issue when I was nursing Jace, but it sounds like it was on a much smaller scale than you're experiencing. I am no expert, but I think you're body is good at regulating itself. I think if you choose one method and stick to it consistently things will even out. But that's just my opinion, I really don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the issue to a smaller degree with some of my kids. One boob was naturally fuller than the other and looked the part, too. Mine wasn't too bad, so I just lived with it. Sorry I don't have any advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had that problem too (guess it is fairly common) I found that if I changed positions on the reluctant side it helped produce more milk, so try the foot ball hold or laying down every time you do that side. He might not be activating every duct in the position you are doing now.

    ReplyDelete